If you're interested in trying it, I'd suggest that you pay close attention to the following details:
- Your "Attitude Stance" is tied to your skills, and you only get one talent point per level, so select skills that match the stance you use (you select this when you start and can change it at the character screen by clicking on your character's name).
- Skill points can be spent at a base by clicking on "Skill Training." Notice that some advanced skills have perquisites from other areas of the skill tree. This means you need to plan out your skill buys early.
- Focus on magic or physical combat at first. Don't try to be good at both (buy spells or weapons/armor, not both). I tried the other way around and learned not to.
- If you find you're taking 3+ hit points of damage in a single fight around levels 1-10, you need to get more defense.
- Any time you get a card, make sure you equip it the next time you're in town by clicking the "Cards" link.